If you’ve started out in an entry-level care role, you can work your way up through the more senior and leadership roles, picking up lots of the skills and experience you need to apply for a manager position.
It’s important that you have:
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to motivate others and help them progress.
- Good English, numeracy and digital skills.
- The ability to think strategically.
- Good project management and organisational skills.
- Experience working in a social care or health role.
The core qualification for social care managers is the Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Adult Care. You can only do this qualification when you’re working in a management role.
Remember, this is a management role, so while you won’t be providing direct care, you’ll be supporting a team who are.